Goal Directed Care Planning Resources
KPA has developed a range of resources to support agencies understand and embed GDCP.
Goal Directed Care Planning Toolkit
The GDCP Toolkit includes a range of practical tools to support agencies understand:
- the rationale for GDCP and the relevant practice requirements
- how to engage clients in the process and document meaningful GDCP
- the organisational systems, policies and procedures that enable staff to embed effective GDCP
- strategies to evaluate GDCP tools, practices and systems
What is a Care Plan?
This resource describes different types of care plans and provides examples about how they are used in practice.
Top tips for documenting GDCP
We know that staff are committed to working in person centred ways and constantly tailor their approach to match each client’s priorities, strengths and abilities. Often though, staff report that translating this approach into writing and documenting meaningful GDCPs is challenging. This resource provides tips about how to document a GDCP that can become a valuable tool for you and your clients.
GDCP Frequently Asked Questions
We have developed a range of template examples, that demonstrate how the key elements can be integrated into a simple and easy to use template:
GDCP Audit Tools
We have developed a range of tools that assist agencies evaluate and monitor their GDCP approach. While these tools were developed for the HACC sector, we have mapped the GDCP requirements across a range of quality standards and practice guidelines including:
- National Health Standards
- Victorian Service Coordination Practice Manual and Continuous Improvement Framework
- Community Care Common Standards (CCCS)
- The VHA Clinical Indicators
- Victorian DHS Standards and Client File Audit Tool 2014
- QIC Health and Community Services Standards (6th Edition)
- ACHS Evaluation and Quality Improvement Program (ACHS EQuIP5)
We are therefore confident that the audit tools are relevant to, and consistent with the care planning guidelines across a number of sectors.
Template Audit Tool
Organisations need to ensure that their care planning template is simple, easy to use and provides prompts to document the information required to meet the relevant quality standards.
The Audit tool for Care Planning Templates (PDF) provides a quick and easy way to review your existing templates and identify areas for improvement.
Audit Criteria for Completed Care Plans
The Audit Criteria for Completed Care Plans describe the key information that should be documented during the development and review of care plans. This enables staff to objectively assess and measure the quality of documentation.
Assessing care plans against the criteria can be valuable to build the knowledge and awareness of staff and to support ongoing quality improvement.
The Audit tool for Completed Care Plans has been setup so that staff can easily audit a number of client files on one page.￼￼￼￼￼￼
Checklist of Organisational Systems to support GDCP
The Checklist of Organisational Systems to support GDCP (PDF and word) has been developed to support agencies review their progress in relation to developing organisational systems that support effective GDCP.
GDCP Conversation Tools
Effective GDCP is reliant on staff’s skill and confidence in having a conversation with the client (and their carer/s), understanding their needs, priorities and identifying how best to support them to achieve their goals. This requires us to move away from a ‘tick the box’ style assessment and adopt a more conversational, in depth approach.
The Learning Community for Person Centred Practices and Helen Sanderson Associates have developed a range of tools and approaches that provide staff with practical, easy to understand strategies to support GDCP.
Basic Microsoft Word templates, for a number of these tools, are provided with permission from The Learning Community for Person Centred Practices and Helen Sanderson Associates.
- Relationship Circle (Word – 237kb)
- My best support (Word – 126kb)
- Relationship map example (pdf)
- Important To vs. Important For (Word – 88kb)
- What’s Working / What’s Not Working (Word – 130 kb)
- Good Days and Bad Days (Word – 109kb)
- 4 + 1 Questions (Word – 126kb)
- GDCP – Exploring options (Word – 139kb)
For more information about these tools, please refer to: