Goal Directed Care Planning Resources
KPA has developed a range of resources to support agencies understand and embed GDCP.
Goal Directed Care Planning Toolkit
The GDCP Toolkit includes a range of practical tools to support agencies understand:
- the rationale for GDCP and the relevant practice requirements
- how to engage clients in the process and document meaningful GDCP
- the organisational systems, policies and procedures that enable staff to embed effective GDCP
- strategies to evaluate GDCP tools, practices and systems
Service specific assessment and care planning resources
They include practical information about the expectations around service specific assessment and planning and how to embed those practices in your work. They are designed to be easy to use and read, with lots of ideas and strategies you can build into your everyday work.
- Embedding a strengths based approach in client conversations* (download PDF)
- Reducing duplication in Service Specific Assessments* (download PDF)
- Service specific goal setting and care planning*** (download PDF)
- Monitoring, Feedback and Review of service specific care plans*** (download PDF)
These resources were developed with the Victorian CHSP sector development teams, including the Wellness and Reablement Consultants in the Eastern*, Northern and Western*** Metropolitan Melbourne regions. While they have been developed within the context of the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP), the key principles, practices and strategies described in these resources support good practice across a range of service types and client groups.
What is a Care Plan?
This resource describes different types of care plans and provides examples about how they are used in practice.
Top tips for documenting GDCP
Top tips for Aged Care assessors.
Documenting assessment summaries and support plans:
GDCP Frequently Asked Questions
We have developed a range of template examples, that demonstrate how the key elements can be integrated into a simple and easy to use template:
- GDCP template Option 1 (download PDF or Word)
- GDCP template Option 2 (download PDF or Word)
- GDCP template Option 3 (download PDF or Word)
- GDCP template Option 4 – EASY ENGLISH (download PDF or Word)
- GDCP template Option 5 – CHILD & YOUTH (download PDF or Word)
- GDCP Review template example (download PDF or Word)
- Simplified GDCP – Postcard templates (download PDF)
GDCP Audit Tools
We have developed a range of tools that assist agencies evaluate and monitor their GDCP approach. While these tools were developed for the HACC sector, we have mapped the GDCP requirements across a range of quality standards and practice guidelines including:
- National Health Standards
- Victorian Service Coordination Practice Manual and Continuous Improvement Framework
- Community Care Common Standards (CCCS)
- The VHA Clinical Indicators
- Victorian DHS Standards and Client File Audit Tool 2014
- QIC Health and Community Services Standards (6th Edition)
- ACHS Evaluation and Quality Improvement Program (ACHS EQuIP5)
We are therefore confident that the audit tools are relevant to, and consistent with the care planning guidelines across a number of sectors.
Template Audit Tool
The Audit tool for Care Planning Templates (PDF) provides a quick and easy way to review your existing templates and identify areas for improvement.
Audit Criteria for Completed Care Plans
Assessing care plans against the criteria can be valuable to build the knowledge and awareness of staff and to support ongoing quality improvement.
The Audit tool for Completed Care Plans has been setup so that staff can easily audit a number of client files on one page.￼￼￼￼￼￼
Checklist of Organisational Systems to support GDCP
GDCP Conversation Tools
Effective GDCP is reliant on staff’s skill and confidence in having a conversation with the client (and their carer/s), understanding their needs, priorities and identifying how best to support them to achieve their goals. This requires us to move away from a ‘tick the box’ style assessment and adopt a more conversational, in depth approach.
The Learning Community for Person Centred Practices and Helen Sanderson Associates have developed a range of tools and approaches that provide staff with practical, easy to understand strategies to support GDCP.
Basic Microsoft Word templates, for a number of these tools, are provided with permission from The Learning Community for Person Centred Practices and Helen Sanderson Associates.
- Relationship Circle (Word – 237kb)
- My best support (Word – 126kb)
- Relationship map example (pdf)
- Important To vs. Important For (Word – 88kb)
- What’s Working / What’s Not Working (Word – 130 kb)
- Good Days and Bad Days (Word – 109kb)
- 4 + 1 Questions (Word – 126kb)
- GDCP – Exploring options (Word – 139kb)
For more information about these tools, please refer to: